Thursday, June 30, 2011

Happy Canada Day!

First week of summer now that the kids are home from school. Wow, I have managed to get NO crafting done all week. Oops. Still adjusting I suppose.

Since it is so close to Canada Day, I wanted to share with you a Silly Patriotic story from my childhood.

My dad took my older brothers and I to the local mall to pick out our own hot pressed transfer t-shirts; remember those kiosks in the mall that were all the rage in the 80's. I poured over the massive binders for what seemed like hours finally finding the most perfect image for my tee. I was so excited about the adorable googly eyed critters with the huge front teeth, and the Patriotic phrase I thought showed how mature I was becoming at 10 years of age. I proudly showed my dad the image I wanted, knowing he was going to be so proud of my decision.

Shockingly my dad put his foot down and said there was no way I could have a shirt with that image on it. Well, I was a bit of a brat back then, and had a massive temper tantrum causing quite the chaos. Finally my dad relented and very reluctantly explained to his little 10 year old what the slogan on the shirt actually meant.

Thanks DAD for having the foresight and determination to say NO to me in this situation. It would have been utterly humiliating and embarrassing to have shown up at school the next day wearing a t-shirt that read: "If your Canadian, show me your beaver!" True story!

1 comment:

Marlene said...

Bwaahaahaa!!! That would have gotten a few looks.